- Use words the mother understands.
- Use teaching aids that are familiar (e.g. common containers for mixing ORS).
- Allow the mother to practise what she must do, e.g. preparing ORS solution or giving an oral medication, and encourage her to ask questions.
- Give advice in a helpful, constructive manner, praising the mother for correct answers or good practice.
Teaching mothers is not just giving instructions. It should include:
- Teaching mothers is not just giving instructions. It should include:
- Give information. Explain to the mother how to give treatment, e.g.preparing ORS, giving an oral antibiotic or applying eye ointment.
- Show an example. Demonstrate to the mother how to give the treatment.
- Let her practice. Ask the mother to prepare the medicine or give the treatment while you watch. Help her as needed, so that she does it correctly.
- Check her understanding. Ask the mother to repeat the instructions in her own words, or ask her questions to see that she has understood correctly.